I installed Apple’s updated OS on my iPhone 6s Plus.
• I can’t feel that big performance improvement and it’s why most of my apps first collect some necessary data via the Internet connection before they are ready to be used. So I’m not interested in benchmark figures. They don’t reflect what I’m doing with my device.
• The new feature Screen Time is useless for me. Yeah, it can be measured but what should the values tell you? I’m sure they are without consequences if you already use your device for reasonable activities.
And there’s more. I wrote this post with the app ByWord but my activity doesn’t show up under Screen Time – Creativity. That’s AI – Abnormal Intelligence.
• The keyboard could be much bigger on my 6s Plus in Landscape Mode. Too much unused space on the left and right side.
• The field to enter Text Replacements is still limited to just one short line although the screen offers enough space. Line feeds are not available.
• The clipboard still doesn’t support multiple entries.
• Developers still find a way to ask for reviews many times.
• The Compass is not reliable.
• QR-Codes cannot be scanned from the Camera Roll.
• It’s unclear why some videos can’t be edited. Also, why isn’t there an option to set the speed a video is displayed.
• Numbers 0-9 are still not available as an extension to the characters on the keyboard to avoid switching to “123”.
• I don’t like the redundancy of Settings. Settings for photos for example can be found under SETTINGS – iCloud – Photos as well as under SETTINGS – Photos. Only the latter one had the option “Mobile Data”. This is the consequence of poor design work.
• Battery – Battery Health – Maximum Capacity doesn’t show a value for some batteries which have been replaced by authorized repair centers.
• Settings – Battery show us statistical data like Screen Time does. What is it for? I looked at them and they just showed me what I already knew.
• AI in iOS? Well, I don’t see any useful improvement of what my brain already is able to do. To the contrary I get suggestions which I don’t want or like to follow.
• There’s still no publicly available folder to which all apps have access to.
• App specific data still can’t be restored individually.
• There’s no easy way to manage files on the iPhone by using a computer without installing this annoying software dino, aka iTunes.
APPS coming with iOS …
• The camera app opens much faster.
• No chance to add documents saved in iCloud to Calendar events.
• No chance to add GPS coordinates to contacts which is quite important in countries which are poorly covered by Maps like Thailand where I live.
• Files still can’t access app specific document folders.
• Shortcuts isn’t fully developed. To add a shortcut to the Home Screen isn’t user friendly. I would prefer sophisticated improvements of daily routines without learning to become a programmer. Innovative ideas? AI? That’s what I miss.
If I look at the Gallery of Shortcuts I can see what’s possible but I also can see lots of useless examples. Sometimes I ask myself wether these little machines really think that humans don’t have a brain.
• The Tips app is ridiculous. Tweets on Apple’s Twitter account are way better.
Don’t get me wrong.
As a former programmer I know that customers like stable and bug free environments but hey, it’s Apple, the most valuable company in the world. I think they could’ve done more.
It’s me reporting about iOS 12 and so others with different usage intentions might have a completely different opinion.
Thanks for reading.